Tuesday, June 14, 2005

GPS gear

Now I have my GPS system just about ready to go. I have an HP iPAQ 2215, an extra-large battery, and a Transplant CF GPS receiver with WAAS. The Transplant took some weeks to arrive.

I've downloaded three software packages to try before buying, but only two of them can run in demo mode with GPS input. I have not flown with any of them yet.

So far I really like SeeYou Mobile. Nice mix of terrain or plain, nice big buttons, well organized. It has lots of features but you don't have to use them if you don't want. As a programmer, I'm really impressed by this software!

Now I just need to work out the mounting of the unit. In the PW5, we have a bracket for mounting one's GPS or nav device. The iPAQ-GPS combo is tall enough it will block an instrument, so I don't think I can use the bracket. I would have to get a suction-cup mount or use a leg strap. At the moment I'm trying to work out the leg strap idea. I cannot find a ready-made soft case for the iPAQ with the extra battery. I found a company that will custom-make one, so I may go that route.

No comments: