Saturday, November 04, 2006

Staying high

One of our club members recently accomplished a 300 kilometer flight in our PW5. Today we were talking about it, and he related something that I too have felt after my best flights. The feeling of elation and accomplishment stays with you for up to a couple of weeks. After my first solo, my first 10,000' flight, my practical test, and my first cross-country flight, I just did not come down for many days. I kept reliving the flight and felt very excited every time I thought about it. I don't think non-pilots quite understand how thrilling and satisfying it is to accomplish a new flying milestone. But I know my wife has noticed it on a couple of occasions 'cuz she's mentioned it to others.

I think that's partly why I started this blog. I just felt that I needed to write about soaring and share it with whoever would listen... and family and friends can only listen so much. ;-)

Comments welcome! I get very few comments on my blog entries these days... maybe no one's reading. But I'll keep writing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading. There aren't many people writing about gliders, so it's a nice change from the usual. I want to get a glider rating someday, but there isn't much opportunity around here that I know of. There's a private glider port a bit north of MSP (called Benson, I think), and that's the closest place people do training. One of these days ...
-C.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the thermal forecast spreadsheet. I check this blog out every now and then as well as Jeremy Z. The only two I am really aware of. Keep it up. Maybe drop another post on r.a.s.
Craig

Darren Darsey said...

Great Blog Roger. I'm surprised there are not more sailplane blogs out there. I'm a hanger glider pilot and hope to have an opportunity to fly sailplanes sometime in the future.
My blog can be found here.