Sunday, March 02, 2008

DUATS and DUAT and Mobile

I saw an ad for DUAT Mobile (http://www.duat.com/mobile) recently, a service for phones and Internet-connected PDAs. I figured this would be a great way to get weather and NOTAM and TFR info when in the field. I tried it once from my Blackberry and could not get signed in.

So tonight I tried duat.com from my home PC to see what's up. I have been using duats.com for years (note the "s"). The login IDs are different between the two systems. I guess they are two different providers for the same FAA information. Duat.com seems to be a more modern, graphical system compared to duats.com's primarily textual interface. I'll have to check it out more thoroughly. Once I signed myself up with duat.com, I was able to use the mobile version.

On my Blackberry, the graphical information such as the U.S. TFR map and the Surface Analysis chart are really very readable. I think this may be a great source of information. I'll try to write more after I play with it for a while. Meanwhile, check it out if you haven't already.

No comments: